Friday, September 10, 2010

Life After Lich King

This was originally going to be shorter, but I felt it deserved an entire post.

Nocturne did a second Lich King kill, officially crowning my main Zarat the Buffslayer. It took a long time because our glorious leader and DK tank supreme Kim Jong-Chad was violently raped by a hippopotamus on one of his oddly-frequent trips to the zoo, and so cannot WoW it up for the time being. I always told him he leaned too much on the railing. At least that's what I think happened; I'm fuzzy on the exact details.

It's very interesting to see the camaraderie of a guild in action; people banding together to get me my flashy title and achievement. I know hardcore raiders probably go through similar moments, replacing "title" with "drake", but I wonder how similar it is. 10-man raiding is such a more intimate format with tighter bonds and more familiar faces, I have to wonder how many larger guilds would have actively worked pass the loss of a tank to make me feel accomplished. I maintain 10-man raiding is the superior format, for this and other reasons, and will gladly continue on into Cataclysm.

But now, what do we do? Nocturne was founded to complete all raids as a pure 10-man guild, and we have done just that. We really have to wait on Chad to start hardmode ICC, so what is there to do? Right now we're knocking out Ulduar hardmodes for a sweet robo drake and the Algalon fight, but that just delays the problem. What do we spend potentially four months doing?

I'm no officer man, but here's a list of shit I would sign on to do and are worthwhile. ToC hardmodes, killing KT again for people's Champions title, retro raids, especially Ahn'Qiraj, Zul'Gurub, and Sunwell, and more 25 man madness with other 10-man guilds. I feel a bit like the soviets post-democratization: I know I am more free, and my quality of life is increased, but I miss the old certainty, the old purpose. But I know we must rise to the challenge, and rather than fall victim to apathy and nostalgia, forge our own purpose anew.

Regardless of what we do next, my unending thanks goes out to all the people who stuck around and punched LK in his crotch a second time. Special thanks goes to Zindo for putting up with tanking, and Tywren for his pro heals and pro strats. Come back to us, Ty! Come back and stay forever!

1 comment:

  1. I am passionately in love with basically this whole post. More so than even past posts.

    AND IF I DON'T LEAN OVER THE RAIL I CAN'T SEE AS WELL GOSH.

    ReplyDelete