Sunday, June 20, 2010

Ghandi Was Right

Now, I'm no fan of Mahatma Ghandi; after all, who is? But I can't deny the effectiveness of non-violent resistance to enact real change. But I was never really aware of it until today.

See, when you sign up for the random dungeon, you're there to kill the final boss, very efficient and business-like. But occasionally, you'll be assailed by some fool who wants achievements, and I'm not there to do achievements. If they happen, cool, but I'm not going out of my way, or worse, slowing things down to get them. So imagine my shock when I go to tank AN for the daily, only to discover that three members of the team are DEMANDING I do the Watch Him Die achievement.

They greet me by announcing they kicked their last tank "cause he was a n00b" (never a good sign in a pug) and they want me to do this super-easy achievement. Well, judging by the pile of corpses, I am none to enthused, and I've died many times on that very achievement before, so I say sorry, but that ain't my bag. They say nothing, and let me die on the first pull.

Wow, what classy gentlemen. They insist I drop group if I don't help them; I tell them to kick me (reasoning that I won't get the 15 min debuff that way), but they can't, since they kicked the last guy too. So here are the choices I'm staring down: A - leave and eat a 15 debuff for the benefit of some douchers who let me die, or B - stage a sit-in. I stayed in the group, refusing to tank. After 10 minutes, a train set, and some light trolling, they quit in frustration.

So not only do I shave 5 minutes off my waiting for group time, but I also get to run one of the shortest dungeons available. I experienced unmitigated victory over my fellow man; my will was done and theirs was thwarted. I fought the law, and I won. All thanks to Ghandi's teachings of passive non-violent protests.

By the way, can someone answer me why whenever someone leaves a group they think they're screwing you, as if you don't get put in front of the queue?

1 comment: